Sunday, January 10, 2010

Day 1


7:30 pm - ches (violin) and crisis (bow).

here's the plan: take 1 photo every day for 201 days. why 201 you ask? because originally I was going to do 2010, to represent the new year. but I figured that would be a mite of a stretch.

this blog is meant for friends and family who are interested. any other blog that seems like it stems from me, it's not for your consumption! kidding. I only have one other blog, and you will never find it.

sorry.

I've been inspired by this and this and a little of this. oh, and LOTS of this. I like reading text, so my pictures will probably include some writing. I would really love to do something similar to the "nie and you" blog, where each day she has a picture taken by a woman in Germany and then one from her life in the US. if you're interested in doing something like that, we should talk.

perhaps I am getting a little ahead of myself.

in other words, this is why I started playing the violin. I was 3 1/2 when I asked my mom if I could start. she waited a year to make sure I was serious before signing me up for suzuki lessons with Mr. Rogers (not from the TV show, as I've been asked by impressionable young minds) and a cardboard violin. as an extremely shy and rather stubborn child, I refused to shake Mr Rogers' hand at the beginning of the lesson. (it's a suzuki thing.) I didn't pick up a real violin until six months later.

when I was 6 or 7, my mom phoned Mr Rogers and told him that I was going to take a break from the violin. 15 minute practice sessions had become a real struggle, usually ending up with me in tears and in the laundrey room taking a time-out. when I came home from school, she informed me of the telephone call. I sat on the couch and cried. I couldn't imagine not playing the violin, as much as I hated it at times. so mom called Mr Rogers back and informed him that my break was very short-lived.

I think that sums up my relationship with the violin. it annoys me sometimes (though not nearly as much as it used to), but I can't imagine not playing it. I will always play. even when I'm living in a senior center in diapers with a little drool on my chin and kids are coming to perform for me, instead of the other way around.

1 comment:

  1. And don't forget the influence of big bird on your violin decision. You've never eaten poultry since!

    ReplyDelete