Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Day 3


12:50 pm - through the amber spyglass

Whenever I am in need of an emotionally and intellectually satisfying read I always return to Philip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy. Each time I read his books I uncover something new. They are a wonderfully spiritual meditation complemented perfectly by a magical science.

My first read of the series began when I was eleven, just after moving to the city I live in now. A friend of my parents was pregnant with twins at the time and while she was on bed rest we read The Golden Compass together. I visited her house quite a bit during the summer to play with her younger daughter and discuss the book. When she had her twins, life got understandably quite busy and I quickly surpassed her in the series.

Back then I was most intrigued by the daemons, which are independent parts of a human's soul that take the form of an animal. Apparently Pullman was inspired in part by Da Vinci's "Lady with an Ermine." Now I'm fascinated with the question of what happens when you divide the smallest possible particle. There are atoms, then protons and neutrons, then quarks. Then what? Strings, if you support string theory. What happens when you cut a string? In Pullman's books, spectors are created from the release of energy when the subtle knife makes a cut into the smallest particle.

My camera's lens needs to be cleansed. But I like what happened here, so I might leave it dusty for a few more days.

1 comment:

  1. your photos are excellent: interesting, mysterious, creative.

    ReplyDelete