Sunday, January 17, 2010

Day 8


9:46 am - morning sky

Here's what I wrote in my journal three years ago, recounting a dream:

Some nifty teleportation stuff occurs, enough to save brother and I from the currents of the canyon river and into a tiny inflatable raft. Dad and the pilot continue their flight, leaving us bobbing down the river.

Everything is miraculously beautiful. Everything you can touch, see, smell, taste - it is raw and gorgeous. The canyon walls are rough with limestone, rising about four stories. The sky is as crystal clear blue as the sparkling water.

Brother and I are squished in the raft, but as we round the corner I pull closer to him. We are approaching a waterfall and I don't know how big it is. The edge draws nearer and nearer. I fleetingly wonder if we'll die, but everything is amazing and brother is blissfully smiling. I stop worrying.

Our small raft tips over the edge of the pulsing water. We are falling - but there is mist so I can't see anything and far too soon we hit the water with a splash!

I float underwater, thinking I am dead, my body slowly rising to the surface. I thrash to air, my hair clinging to my face. Brother rises a few meters to my right.

As soon as I can stand on the rocky floor of the lake, I look behind me at the waterfall. It is at least 70 feet high, with multiple ledges. Incredulously, I wonder how we survived the tumble and I think I've fallen to heaven.

I spot dad waving us to the shore, where a little house is half hidden by trees. Ben and I run to him, hugging and laughing. Dad seems forlorn and I dance about, desperately trying to make him see the beauty.

Then something warm and gooey lands on my head, face, and shoulders. I pause and scream. There is bird poo all over me! I sprint back to the water and furiously scrub away.

1 comment:

  1. This is why I believe birds should be required to wear diapers! The rest of the dream sounds really cool, though.

    ReplyDelete